Deep Space 15
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Station Deep Space 15

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Off-Duty Damage Control

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

Off-Duty Damage Control Empty
PostSubject: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm

The second day of the journey was so far the toughest. At least on the third it would feel like they were making some kind of progress, since they should be arriving then. But this day, when they were in warp for what seemed endless hours, T'Pren was struggling to keep her calm. She meditated instead of eating. She exercised. She practiced mok'bara. She did more work and wrote more unnecessary reports than Rai would probably know what to do with. It was a grueling day.

And now that she'd run out of work, the half-Vulcan was in the holodeck in the pants and tank top of her uniform, dripping water because the computer had it pouring rain. Her hair was braided tightly back exposing her ears and she was scrabbling for control over a weapon with a Cardassian who was easily twice her size and weight. Three more guards lay where she'd dropped them, incapacitated and unconscious.

She fought somewhere between human and Vulcan. The techniques were Vulcan, but the resourcefulness, the scrappiness, the fierceness...those things were all very human.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Dealing with briefing the ensigns had left Tal'Ara exhausted and annoyed. She walked to the doors of a holodeck and entered.

She was surprised to see a program already running. And T'Pren. And the rain.

Tal'Ara stood there, starting to get throughly drenched, and cleared her throat.

"Nice weather we are having," she joked.
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Tal'Ara's voice was the distraction the thick-necked Cardassian needed to slam his weapon across the side of T'Pren's face and she went arching backwards before crashing to the ground. She lay there in the mud for a moment, trying to get her bearings, but the guard was already out for more. As he moved on her prone form, she called out hoarsely, "Computer! Freeze program." The rain, the Cardassian. It all paused mid-action.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:15 am

"Target practice? Or perhaps this is a bit more personal?" she asked, cautiously.
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 am

"Just restless," T'Pren admitted, sitting up with a grunt and rubbing at her jaw. She'd have to see Zima about that before tomorrow. Before really looking Tal'Ara's way, she opened and closed her mouth to make sure the hinge was working properly and wiggled her jaw back and forth a little. "And making sure I'm desensitized to being attacked by Cardassian guards." And to taking them down.

Finally, she glanced at the Romulan at the door and slowly pushed to her feet. "Did you need me?"
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 am

"No," Tal'Ara frowned. "I was just looking for a holodeck to... decompress in. Didn't realize you were in here. I thought I had this hour blocked out."

She shrugged.

"Must have been a computer error or something."
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:25 am

"Oh," T'Pren replied with a mirroring frown. She was still worrying her jaw as she made her way to the wall panel to check the schedule. "It said it was free," she explained by way of apology. After some digging, she made a soft 'ah' sound. "Found it. Someone must have been tinkering with the interface today."

The willowy lieutenant squeezed water from her braid and gave the frozen holodeck program a deeply reluctant once-over. "I'll, uh. I'll leave you to it then."

She was already trying to come up with something else to do to keep herself occupied.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 am

"You don't need to leave. There is plenty of room in here for the both of us," she said cheerfully. "But would you mind if, perhaps, we didn't have a combat program running?"

She needed to relax. Not work up a sweat.
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 am

The look of relief that passed across T'Pren's face was obvious. "Thank you. I'd love some company, actually." She gave the Romulan a wry smile. "It's your hour. Run whatever you'd like."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 am

"Holodeck, run program Tal'Ara 2: Valley of Chula," she commanded.

The Holodeck instantly rearranged itself to the Valley of Chula, one of the most beloved areas on the Romulan homeworld which cut straight through the heart of the Kae'raktar Mountains.

The temperature was perfect - not too hot, not too cold.

Various colorful plants peppered the grey-green fields of grass. The beautiful mountain skyline surrounded them.

Tal'Ara breathed the familiar air in.

"This is one of the most beautiful places on Romulus. My father used to take us here on vacations when I was a child."

Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:01 am

The half-Vulcan immediately took in an expansive breath, stepping forward to let herself be surrounded by open space, even if it was just a poor substitute. "It's gorgeous," she decided, her voice soft. "We were supposed to go to Romulus once when I was a child to help a couple conceive, but we couldn't get clearance."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 am

"Too bad you didn't know me back them," she said jokingly.

She paused.

"I like to come here and just relax. Set out a blanket and have a snack."
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:11 am

Tal'Ara may have been joking about T'Pren knowing her then, but it peaked the lieutenant's interest. She grinned and lowered herself onto a flat stone, once again wringing water from her hair. "I doubt you'd have been interested in knowing me. I was only nine." After a pause, she asked earnestly, "What were you like? Before the Tal Shiar."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 am

She paused to think about this.

"Well, there wasn't much before the Tal Shiar, honestly. I was pretty young when I was recruited. And besides that, my father was in the Tal Shiar, so it has always been a part of my life."

She smiled, "But if you mean, what was I like as a child? Precocious. Driven. Mischievous. Loquacious. I was in trouble a lot."
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 am

The idea of Tal'Ara as a child getting in trouble made T'Pren grin even more. "In trouble for what?"
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 am

Tal'Ara laughed.

"Oh, wouldn't you like to know?" she teased. "I was a master manipulator and liar from a young age. And a bit of a kleptomaniac. Never listened to anyone. Argued constantly."
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:25 am

T'Pren laughed at Tal'Ara's description of her child self. "No wonder the Tal Shiar recruited you." And then, with a sheepish smile, she admitted, "I definitely wouldn't have interested you back then. I don't think I ever told a lie until I was fourteen."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:30 am

"What was your first lie? Do you remember?"
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:33 am

T'Pren took a deep breath at the question and picked up a stone. She studied it carefully and steadied her heartbeat and her respiration to make sure she stayed as disconnected as possible from what she was about to say. "Members of the Obsidian Order boarded my escape pod and told me to surrender without a fight. I told them I would. That was the first lie. The second was after they'd subdued me. I told them I wasn't afraid of them."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:48 am

Tal'Ara frowned.

"Lying can be a necessity for survival."

Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:54 am

"Well," T'Pren replied with a sideways smile, "there are very few better teachers when it comes to lying than the Order. Although I never did develop much of a stomach for it." After a little more studying of the stone in her hand, she pulled her arm back and chunked it half-heartedly, watching it bounce off the other rocks and finally land in a patch of grass.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 2:08 am

Tal'Ara definitely had the stomach for it.

She sat down in the grass and took her shoes off, letting the gras get between her toes.

"Oddly enough, I kind of prefer the holodeck version of this place..." she sighed, "Allergies."
Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 2:10 am

"Was that ever a problem?" T'Pren wondered with amusement, following Tal'Ara's example and stripping out of her shoes. "A Tal Shiar operative with allergies. Did you ever sneeze at an inopportune time?"
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 2:17 am

Tal'Ara laughed, "Sure, but I always found ways to use it to my advantage. Undercover, making a little blunder as insignificant as a sneeze can be important. Someone may see it as a slight sign of weakness, and therefore will instinctively let their guard down around me, even if only a little bit."

Back to top Go down
T'Pren Inabnet

T'Pren Inabnet

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 am

The half-Vulcan gave Tal'Ara an amusedly wary look. "I'll have to keep that in mind the next time you sneeze around me."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off-Duty Damage Control   Off-Duty Damage Control Empty

Back to top Go down

Off-Duty Damage Control
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Deep Space 15 :: On Board DS15 :: On Board the Hippolyta-
Jump to: