Deep Space 15
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Station Deep Space 15

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Orb Briefing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 12:38 am

Rai and Tal'Ara had met in the ready room, empty except for the two of them and the pale glow of the LCARS wall panel whizzing past readings.
"Lieutenant Commander, you were lucky enough to have missed the fracas caused by the Orb of Serenity. First, the provenance: The Orb was unearthed by Cardassian archaeologist Ilana Daheel during the Occupation. It remained in possession of the Cardassian government until the passing of the Cultural Re-appropriation Act, at which point it was returned to the Bajoran government. From there, it passed to Kai Bennya, who was murdered roughly a year ago by Cardassian operative Dr. Mila Tahain.
The Orb had a negative reaction during morning prayers. It began to grow unstable, emitting plasma radiation. Fifteen people present were wounded from plasma burns. Some of this radiation caused catastrophic reactions within the station's power relays. A chain reaction of power outages occurred throughout the station.
Lieutenant T'Pren Inabnet contained the Orb's reaction in a subspace magnetic field. It appears to be stable for the time being, but the Bajoran government is understandably hesitant to take the Orb back into their possession."
This is the true stuff of military life, he thought to himself. Long, long, briefings with people who do not like you.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 12:45 am

Tal'Ara remained silent for a few moments after the Commander finished speaking.

"Explain to me, Commander, how a Bajoran religious object became a devastating weapon seemingly out of nowhere? It is my understanding that the Bajorans believe their Prophets communicate to them through the Orbs..." she then joked, "Was it something they said?"

Her eyebrow raised cheekily.

Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 12:50 am

"If I had to guess, it probably had a lot to do with the messenger. The interactions that both the human Acolyte Denisse Hyland reported to have experienced with the Orb included messages of 'bloody fingers' and the implication is that Orb was either smiting the false Kai, or the Bajoran people for accepting a Cardassian Kai, particularly a war criminal," he paused and smirked. "I am only somewhat spiritual myself, but I believe these messages were genuine efforts to communicate by the worm hole aliens, or possibly a being contained within the Orb itself."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 12:59 am

"Fascinating," she said with genuine interest.

"Is there word on where the Orbs destination will be? I understand the Bajoran government is hesitant to take it, but I find it hard to believe they will relinquish such an important cultural artifact."
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:08 am

"I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a timeline from the Bajoran Government on when they plan to send representatives to take it. As you can imagine, they're in an upheaval over having let a Cardassian infiltrate their highest religious office," he paused, "for the time being, we have ample opportunity to study it."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:20 am

This made Tal'Ara very happy. Ample time to study the Orb. And the best part, she wouldn't even have to lift a finger. The Science Officer will be reporting all of the information directly to her. But she best not get too excited, not with the Betazoid around. No doubt he already sensed her initial reaction, but she had to find a way to channel it, as not to garner any suspicion.

"I am excited to see what can glean from it. You know, sometimes I wish I had chosen to study science at the Academy, but my family would never hear of it. It's a shame, too. I think I would have had the mind for it."

She paused.

"Is there a contingency plan in place in the event that the Bajorans dont want to take the Orb back?"
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:24 am

"Enough volatile materials pass through my station as it is, so naturally I want to be rid of it as well. I'll send it back to Starfleet Headquarters to be studied and contained in a secure facility until the Bajoran government wants to take it back. I believe, and this is conjecture and intuition, that the Bajoran government is afraid of being 'punished' by the Orb."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:31 am

"Well, I trust your intuition, Commander."

She paused.

"How soon do you expect it will be sent back to Starfleet Headquarters?"
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:46 am

"By the end of the month, I've already submitted a request to Starfleet. I want it gone. I can't risk that kind of disaster again."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:54 am

"Understandably so. I admit that I would also feel better having that thing as far away from where I sleep as possible."

Tal'Ara felt satisfied with the information she had gathered. She would find out when the transport was being made, and pass the information on to the Tal Shiar, for them to handle.

She decided to take the conversation in a different direction, and test the Commander's fortitude.

"Commander, I would like to speak freely with you. What are your true feelings on having a Romulan as your first officer? I know you are just following the dictates of our governments, but I can sense that you have some... reservations about my serving with you."
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 2:20 am

"Building trust between worlds that have been at odds with each other is a process, one that doesn't happen immediately. It takes leaps of faith, on both our parts, and some adjustments in the way we communicate with one another, and the way we understand each other.
If I, have in any way, made you feel any less a member of my crew, I apologize, and clearly, I should do better as a leader," he said humbly.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 2:39 am

"Not at all, Commander. It is understandable. My people have a reputation of being less than... friendly. And I agree. Communication is vital in the fostering of any relationship. In the Tal Shiar, Colonels and their First Officers are two heads of the same beast. They share everything with one another. That way, if one falls, the body can still survive. I want our relationship to be like that. So, I encourage you to be honest with me, Commander, in all aspects of our work. And I will do my best to extend the same honesty to you."

She extended a hand.
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 2:48 am

He took her hand, and shook it firmly, locking eyes with her. He took that moment of contact to brush over her mind, and the one thing he could feel, was that old feeling he had when touching so many dignitaries the last few days. The touch created a feeling, the same feeling one would get if one placed their tongue to a battery. Bitterness, yes, but not only bitterness. Deception. He never broke his smile, nor did his expression change, even in his eyes, his black irises still twinkling with Federation humility.
"I'm certain you will do your best. Thank you for feeling comfortable enough to discuss this with me. If you have no further questions, you're dismissed."
He walked her to the frame of the door in the ready room.
"Oh, and one more thing."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 2:53 am

She stopped at in the doorway and turned back.

"Yes, Commander?"
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 2:53 am

"I may be learning to trust, but I'm not stupid. Don't ever expect me to let my guard down around you."
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing EmptySun May 18, 2014 3:28 am

"Commander," she said, with sly grin, "I would think very little of you if you did."

She gave a him a nod goodbye and left the ready room.

This will be fun. Tal'Ara loved a challenge. And he was right. He was not stupid. He is wise not to trust.

But he was playing right into her hand.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Orb Briefing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orb Briefing   Orb Briefing Empty

Back to top Go down

Orb Briefing
Page 1 of 1