Deep Space 15
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Station Deep Space 15

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

More Gifts for Val

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gammon

Gammon

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 3:55 pm

In the morning, when Val woke up hungover from his kanar and finally bothered to leave his quarters, he would no doubt stumble on a beautifully wrapped box just the right size for Papus to sit in. It was also surprisingly heavy. There was no note visible and there wouldn't be one until Val opened it. Under a few layers of a very nice marigold Kriosian silk was a little folded piece of parchment with a calligraphy-like handwriting that was truly extraordinary but probably impossible for the Bajoran to read. And when he pulled back that silk, he would find more Latinum than he'd maybe ever seen in one place at the same time. Enough for both he and his mother to live like royalty for months or to live comfortably for a year.
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Val wandered out of his room after being woken up by a hungry tabby cat. He patted his stiff hair down, tugged his rumpled robe over his shoulder, and did in fact stumble over the box at his door. Trepidation struck him, recent events making him very wary of presents, especially one so heavy. He told himself it was probably just a gift from Da-an. Maybe a garden stone.
He sat on his heels and unwrapped it, thrilling at the fine silk, and draping it around his neck for safe keeping. He picked up the letter and peered at it, trying to make out even the simplest of words, but was unable to, due to the script. He gave up and folded it again, then gasped audibly at the sight of the solid bars of latinum. He quickly looked both ways down the hall, and dragged the box inside his quarters, with some effort. What drowsiness he had was gone, adrenaline running through him, wondering what in the world he was expected to do for this much compensation. It probably said it all in the note, and it frightened him a bit.
Still, for this much, he could just buy passage to the next station and disappear without fulfilling the bargain.
The options and possibilities raced through his mind as he emptied the box, making sure latinum was the only thing there, and counted it all. Even with half for his mum and half for him, it was an unbelievable amount. He wrapped it up and hid it in the safest part of his quarters.
As he prepared himself for the day, he kept the note with him, wondering who he could ask to read it to him. Lieutenant Inabnet, the Captain, and Akhil were away and he didn't exactly trust the ensigns he'd been seeing lately. And as much as he wanted to pay Da-an a visit, he didn't want to startle them with any serious developments the note may contain.

"Call Lorelai, at the Two Moons Bath," he told his console.
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 pm

The communicator chirped, and in a few moments, Lorelei's purring voice replied. She was clearly not all the way up yet, and possibly not alone. "Good morning, darling... You're up early..."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Val winced.
"Sorry, didn't realise the time. I don't suppose you could come over?"
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 pm

A sound of a really pleasant stretch followed. Lorelei clambered over the curvy sleeping figure in her bed and picked up a diaphanous gown that was tossed carelessly on the floor the night prior. "I suppose it is urgent... Give me a few minutes to get ready... You're in your quarters?"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Val nodded.
"I'll put tea on for you. It'll only take a minute, I hope. You're a real chum, Lorelei."
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 pm

"Sure thing, honey." Lorelei trailed off and the communicator chirped off. The Risan cleaned herself up, resorting for once to the sonic shower rather than her usual, lengthier bathing rituals, dressed simply in a wrap around dress and pinned up her hair.

It was still a good 40 minutes before she showed up at Val's door - needs must. The communicator chirped to announce her arrival.
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Val let her in and had hot tea from the replicator ready for her.
"I forgot 'urgent' means something different on Risa," Val said, smiling even if his nerves were on edge from waiting. He took her hand and led her to the sofa, where he had placed the note and tea. He curled up there and unfolded the note.
"I don't suppose you could read this to me?"
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Lorelei shrugged guiltily, then sat, tea in one hand, note in the other. "Heavens, what a scrawl..." she narrowed her still sleepy eyes and sipped her tea before reading aloud, "'Etilen,

After our conversation last night, I have decided to take my own advice and invest my money into something worthy and that I have no doubt will always accrue value with time: you.

You need give nothing in return for this unless you would like to, and if you're interested, I will be at the Ceti Eel tonight to discuss future business prospects with you. If not, consider this a repayment for all the kindness you and your mother have given me over the years.

With great affection,
Gammon'"

She looked up at Val from the note. "Well!"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Val scrunched up his face in bewilderment.
"Gammon?" he flapped his arms impotently. "What does he mean? What does he want?"
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Lorelei looked back at the note and read it over. "Well, honey, the answer to that would be obvious if you hadn't told me the two of you were like brothers!" she replied, "What is the 'repayment' he is talking about?"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Val shook his head. "I'm not sure. He and my mum were friends, and he would help us out from time to time." The Bajoran scratched his head. "He made some noises last night about me doing more than just turning tricks but... It's an awful lot of money. You you think he could be trying to buy my exclusivity?" It still didn't quite make sense, but he couldn't think of anything else it could be.
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 pm

"He gave you money?"Lorelei asked, all the more confused. "Maybe... he wants your help with his business?.." She looked the note over. "Have you and he ever...?"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Val shook his head. "I even asked last night if he wanted to, and he said no."
He brought out one of the usual packing boxes he used to send money to his mother, realizing it would take many, many shipments to get it all to her. He sighed. "Maybe it's time mum visited the station. I could even pay her passage now."
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Lorelei watched with amazement as Val hauled out the lautanum and placed it next to the empty shipping container. "Who knew our humble shopkeeper is so loaded! Val, honey," she continued, "that's a lot of money. I would talk to him to clear up his intentions before accepting such a lot. I'm sure he means well... but, well, you never know. People sometimes attach strings to such generous gifts without even realizing."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 pm

"Believe me, I know," Val said. "I was thinking of just taking it and hauling ass to the next station." He placed a few bricks into the shipping container. "Don't tell anyone about it, okay?"
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Lorelei

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

"My lips are sealed," Lorelei promised. "But you wouldn't just bail on a friend like that," she added. "You know, I'm beginning to think your friend has an excesses of noble intentions and a bit of a savior complex, for all his debonair rogue posturing."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

More Gifts for Val Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Gifts for Val   More Gifts for Val Empty

Back to top Go down

More Gifts for Val
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Deep Space 15 :: On Board DS15 :: The Habitat Ring-
Jump to: